Monday, May 19, 2008

16th May 2008 - CAPE TOWN


Cape Town…Mother City!!! Last Saturday in the early afternoon we crossed the finish line in Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront, marking the end of our epic 4 month journey. I pause and try to grasp the moment in the short chaos that follows as fellow riders are being reunited with their beloved ones and the media descends on us. Slowly I realize: I got on my bike in Cairo and now, 4 months, 10,000km and one continent later I am finished. This is it.

A week has passed since and my adjustment has pretty much continued throughout. We have been so busy riding and sampling new experiences that we didn’t really have any time to process them. It is just now that we start to digest everything. Watching the slideshow at the gala dinner was overwhelming. By now I have gotten used again to shower everyday, not having to carry toilet paper (a hot trading commodity in bush/desert camps) wherever I go and taking up a more normal eating habit.

Apologies, my blog hasn’t really been updated since Livingstone in Zambia. I will make up for that and post something on Botswana, Namibia and South Africa in the coming days (Highlights include: wild elephants in Botswana, our 315km day, Windhoek, Fish River Canyon and last but not least my attempts to keep our crazy Austrian Heinz’s racing efforts in check).

No comments: