Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Adventure Begins

Boarding my plane to Cairo, I just relax. Finally, a moment to take a deep breath and contemplate what is lying ahead of me. The past few days have been chaotic, to say the least, with me trying to orchestrate training, preparation (visa, equipment, insurance etc.) and getting the fundraising going. With the date of departure approaching quickly, successful completion seemed doomed at times. Consider my carefully selected camping mattress. Having been assured that good sleep is of utmost important as part of my crucial recovery from physical strain, I opt for the super-comfortable version only to realize 3 days before departure that it will not fit into my red box (i.e. Tour d’Afrique baggage restrictions). Or the Ethiopian consulate in Frankfurt, who, after travelling 250km for the sole purpose of obtaining a visa, tell me visa are not issued on that particular day and, being a British citizen, please submit my application to the London embassy. But I managed. Vaccinations were received, gear successfully assembled and my passport is adorned with entry permits into various African countries.

I return to my initial thought: What is lying ahead of me? For starters, my Cairo hotel failed to confirm my booking. Landing at 1 am at Cairo International with all my belongings to lodge around, finding accommodation is fairly high up the priority ladder. Looking further ahead, I will be meeting my fellow riders in the days to come. Trying to master even more far sight, I attempt a quick mental run-through of the first couple of racing days. I fail miserably. In fact, I really have no real tangible notion of what actually is lying ahead of me. Whilst the run-up to the Tour d’Afrique may seem like a little adventure in itself, the real adventure is still to come.






No comments: